Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Who plans on towing with their Hyundai Palisade?

Who plans on towing with their Hyundai Palisade?

• Yes - Large Trailer with brake controller

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Yes - Small Trailer

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

alfman

Reactions
Ditto on it being factory installation. I had already purchased the factory tow hitch and wiring harness from the dealer for about $580 total. I have an appointment this Tuesday to have it installed along with a 7-pin controller harness and P3 Tekonsha brake controller. They need to run power and from the battery and brake wire to brand new 7-pin adaptor. The factory only comes with a 4-pin.
Once it gets installed, can you post a picture of the installed tow hitch?

I'm trying to get a better feel for how far below the rear bumper the hitch will be (I have a steep driveway at home/work).

Thanks.

Reactions
Once it gets installed, can you post a picture of the installed tow hitch?

I'm trying to get a better feel for how far below the rear bumper the hitch will be (I have a steep driveway at home/work).

Thanks.
You got it! I should be posting by weds morning

Reactions
OK so finished having the install done at the trailer shop. Had them install the following:
  • Palisade factory tow hitch
  • Factory 4-pin wiring harness
  • P3 Tekonsha brake controller
  • Dedicated power and brake controller line from cabin/battery to 7-pin adaptor
  • 7-pin adaptor that they had in stock that mounted right to the factory tow hitch
A nice touch is the tow hitch includes a Hyundai-logo branded cover. Here are the pics:
IMG_4092.jpeg IMG_4093.jpeg IMG_4094.jpeg IMG_4096.jpeg IMG_4095.jpeg

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Hyundai Palisade
OK so finished having the install done at the trailer shop. Had them install the following:
  • 7-pin adaptor that they had in stock that mounted right to the factory tow hitch
A nice touch is the tow hitch includes a Hyundai-logo branded cover. Here are the pics:
View attachment 723 View attachment 724 View attachment 725 View attachment 726 View attachment 727
Wow that’s a really clean install of the 7-pin and brake controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
Finally some great photos, thanks Mike.

alfman

Reactions
View attachment 723 View attachment 724 View attachment 725 View attachment 726 View attachment 727
Thanks for the pictures!

Reactions
What I Drive
Hyundai
@Mikeg112 can you measure how much clearance there are to to the bottom of the hitch? We have a steep driveway I think it'll scrape. Also thanks for the photos.

Just wish it was more integrated into the bumper like the Telluride.
59401508_10214682472635035_8072220299292049408_n.jpg

Reactions
Thanks for the photos @Mikeg112. How much did the shop charge to install the hitch and wiring?
Sure, it was $100 to install the hitch, and $250 for the 7-pin wiring. They ended up having to run a separate line from the battery to the hitch, this allows me to be able to power the electric brakes and charge the battery on the travel trailer. A 4-pin connector only had a 4-5 amp max so it takes that load completely off the left-right turn signal lights.

Reactions
@Mikeg112 can you measure how much clearance there are to to the bottom of the hitch? We have a steep driveway I think it'll scrape. Also thanks for the photos.

Just wish it was more integrated into the bumper like the Telluride.
View attachment 729
Here are the measurements on my flat driveway:
  1. Floor to bottom of hitch: 10 inches
  2. Floor to top of hitch tube: 12 1/3 inches
I ended up watching this video on hitch rise/drop, and here are my calculations, let me know if this seems right:
  • Bottom of trailer ball hitch mount from floor: 20.5 inches
  • Floor to top of hitch tube: 12 1/3 inches
  • Difference: +8.2 inches or an 8" rise
Next plan is to order an 8" riser, hoping that makes sense.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #32
Here are the measurements on my flat driveway:
  1. Floor to bottom of hitch: 10 inches
  2. Floor to top of hitch tube: 12 1/3 inches
I ended up watching this video on hitch rise/drop, and here are my calculations, let me know if this seems right:
  • Bottom of trailer ball hitch mount from floor: 20.5 inches
  • Floor to top of hitch tube: 12 1/3 inches
  • Difference: +8.2 inches or an 8" rise
Next plan is to order an 8" riser, hoping that makes sense.
Great info

Reactions
Just a heads up everyone, planning on taking the trailer out this weekend for the palisades first road trip, it’s a local campground only an hour away. I’ll post photos and a quick review on how it performs.

Reactions
EB67DB02-AD45-41AF-842B-6A40216A43A7.jpeg 71EF6F22-1BF0-4485-948E-9C937D7AA303.jpeg 6711E375-E2B2-4681-A1B7-6CD8601F9276.jpeg

After renting a truck for past six months so happy to finally have a tow vehicle that can handle our 4,000 trailer. Took it for a brief test drive last night, here’s my initial feedback:
The palisade did sag a bit initially once you hitch up. But the self-leveling takes about 3-4 miles to adjust due to the nature of the self-leveling shocks. I probably have about a 1-inch drop in the rear axle, will drive an hour to our camping spot and see if I need a weight distribution/sway control hitch over the weekend.
Drive: as a driver you do notice you’re towing, but leaving in comfort mode it almost auto-adjusts the rpms to match the uphill and towing. Surprisingly my wife in the passenger seat didn’t even notice that we were towing! I tried sport mode but was revving a little too high for my preference, so I leave in smart mode for now.

Reactions
The one I just bought (& apparently all of the Palisades) already has the transmission cooler & is "wiring harness ready" - that was standard on the sticker. The "factory" hitch is bolted on by the dealer. Seems very odd to me...

Reactions
Ditto on it being factory installation. I had already purchased the factory tow hitch and wiring harness from the dealer for about $580 total. I have an appointment this Tuesday to have it installed along with a 7-pin controller harness and P3 Tekonsha brake controller. They need to run power and from the battery and brake wire to brand new 7-pin adaptor. The factory only comes with a 4-pin.
I just took delivery on a AWD Limited Palisade yesterday and have to get a hitch and seven pin connector installed for trailer breaks. Would you mind posting some pictures of your installation and sharing your experience with the 7 pin. Did you have to pull in 12v to the dash and a cable to the 7 pin to power the trailer brakes, or might that be pre wired like most other mid sized SUVs?🤞

Reactions
I just took delivery on a AWD Limited Palisade yesterday and have to get a hitch and seven pin connector installed for trailer breaks. Would you mind posting some pictures of your installation and sharing your experience with the 7 pin. Did you have to pull in 12v to the dash and a cable to the 7 pin to power the trailer brakes, or might that be pre wired like most other mid sized SUVs?🤞
Bruce, you may not have noticed the second page in this thread. He did post pictures.

Hyundai Palisade Posts