Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

LKA System - Use it? Like it?

Reactions
The Lane Keeping Assist feature uses a front-facing camera to see lane markings and, under certain conditions, actively moves the steering wheel to keep the car centered in the lane. After 2 days of suburban/city driving with my new Palisade I still find it a little disconcerting, and I'm not sure it improves my lane-keeping. But I'll drive with it for a few more days and see if I bond with it. How do others feel about the system?

(Note: The same system is used for the Lane Following Assist feature, which works with the cruise control system. I'm asking about LKA, not LFA.)

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
I'm still not entirely sure what the difference is between lka and lfa, as it is very poorly defined in the manual, but I use both systems and find the lka just fine with the audible alert disabled.

MarioSD

Reactions
I like it, took me a couple of weeks to really get used to it. Once you adapt your driving style to the sytem it works really well.

@saxman242 LFA (Lane Follow Assist) will actually keep track of the road lines and designed keep you within the lanes.

LKA (Lane Keep Assist) Is similar to LFA but only reacts after you're outside of the lane.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
The manual does such an amazing job of describing the difference between these two systems:

"The Lane Following Assist (LFA) system helps detect lane markers on the road with a front view camera at the front windshield, and assists the driver's steering to help keep the vehicle between lanes."

"The Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) system helps detect lane markers on the road with a front view camera at the front windshield, and assists the driver's steering to help keep the vehicle between lanes."

MarioSD

Reactions
The manual does such an amazing job of describing the difference between these two systems:

"The Lane Following Assist (LFA) system helps detect lane markers on the road with a front view camera at the front windshield, and assists the driver's steering to help keep the vehicle between lanes."

"The Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) system helps detect lane markers on the road with a front view camera at the front windshield, and assists the driver's steering to help keep the vehicle between lanes."
lol now I see what you meant.

Reactions
I like it, took me a couple of weeks to really get used to it. Once you adapt your driving style to the sytem it works really well.

@saxman242 LFA (Lane Follow Assist) will actually keep track of the road lines and designed keep you within the lanes.

LKA (Lane Keep Assist) Is similar to LFA but only reacts after you're outside of the lane.
That's not quite what it is.

LKA will put you back between the lines. Its function can be changed to only be a line departure warning, where it only beeps but doesn't re-center you.

LFA will follow the lines - as in, it can steer the car for you when the road curves.

Reactions
That's not quite what it is.

LKA will put you back between the lines. Its function can be changed to only be a line departure warning, where it only beeps but doesn't re-center you.

LFA will follow the lines - as in, it can steer the car for you when the road curves.
I think they are both referring to how the "Assist" part works. Once you change the LKA system to just Lane Departure Warning, you disable the LKA.

@saxman242 there's a better definition of LKA and LFA further down in the manual.

Lane Keeping Assist guides the driver to help keep the vehicle within the lanes. It rarely controls the steering wheel, when the vehicle drives well inside the lanes. However, it starts to control the steering wheel, when the vehicle is about to deviate out of the lane.

Lane Following Assist system helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane by assisting the driver's steering. However, the driver should not solely rely on the system but always pay attention on the steering wheel to stay in the lane.

Reactions
I think they are both referring to how the "Assist" part works. Once you change the LKA system to just Lane Departure Warning, you disable the LKA.

@saxman242 there's a better definition of LKA and LFA further down in the manual.

Lane Keeping Assist guides the driver to help keep the vehicle within the lanes. It rarely controls the steering wheel, when the vehicle drives well inside the lanes. However, it starts to control the steering wheel, when the vehicle is about to deviate out of the lane.

Lane Following Assist system helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane by assisting the driver's steering. However, the driver should not solely rely on the system but always pay attention on the steering wheel to stay in the lane.
The wording is confusing, but what you quotes is essentially what I was saying.

@saxman242 and @MarioSD : Try the LFA on a highway by using cruise control and letting it steer you when the road curves.

Reactions
The Lane Keeping Assist feature uses a front-facing camera to see lane markings and, under certain conditions, actively moves the steering wheel to keep the car centered in the lane. After 2 days of suburban/city driving with my new Palisade I still find it a little disconcerting, and I'm not sure it improves my lane-keeping. But I'll drive with it for a few more days and see if I bond with it. How do others feel about the system?

(Note: The same system is used for the Lane Following Assist feature, which works with the cruise control system. I'm asking about LKA, not LFA.)
My wife loves the feature while I hate it. But since she drives it more than I do, I just try to get used to it. Like @Eric2203 posted above you can always disable it.

Reactions
The wording is confusing, but what you quotes is essentially what I was saying.

@saxman242 and @MarioSD : Try the LFA on a highway by using cruise control and letting it steer you when the road curves.
Sorry about that, I just re-read the posts again and I think we're all referring to the same thing haha.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade

Lane Following Assist system helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane by assisting the driver's steering.
I'm still going with it is very poorly defined in the manual, as those two statements are not exclusionary of each other. If I drive with LFA turned on, but keep the car well centered, LFA doesn't steer the wheel. It only does it when it starts to deviate, like what's stated in the description of LKA. Now, LFA may engage during less deviation, but based on the description in the manual, it's doing the same thing.

I use it all the time and can certainly describe what I think the difference is, but the manual and Hyundai's advertisements of the two systems are atrocious at differentiating.

Let's not even get started on trying to define what HDA actually is.

Reactions
This is the first vehicle I've owned that has the system and I really do like it, especially the LFA feature.

Reactions
I'm still going with it is very poorly defined in the manual, as those two statements are not exclusionary of each other. If I drive with LFA turned on, but keep the car well centered, LFA doesn't steer the wheel. It only does it when it starts to deviate, like what's stated in the description of LKA. Now, LFA may engage during less deviation, but based on the description in the manual, it's doing the same thing.

I use it all the time and can certainly describe what I think the difference is, but the manual and Hyundai's advertisements of the two systems are atrocious at differentiating.

Let's not even get started on trying to define what HDA actually is.
But LFA does steer the wheel even if you're centered. It does it when the road curves and when cruise control is on. It does not work when the cruise control is not on. And a green steering wheel icon appears when it's on. See page 5-104 in the manual.

I agree that the description in the manual is crap.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
But LFA does steer the wheel even if you're centered
To be pedantic, it doesn't. It steers when your path drifts away from center, either due to your inputs or the road turning so your path no longer has you centered in the lane. Essentially, the big difference between LFA and LKA is really down to how far away from center it will tolerate before it engages.

I know I stated earlier that I don't know the difference between the two systems, but I should have phrased that as I don't know the difference in how Hyundai tries to present them.

Reactions
To be pedantic, it doesn't. It steers when your path drifts away from center, either due to your inputs or the road turning so your path no longer has you centered in the lane. Essentially, the big difference between LFA and LKA is really down to how far away from center it will tolerate before it engages.

I know I stated earlier that I don't know the difference between the two systems, but I should have phrased that as I don't know the difference in how Hyundai tries to present them.
I get what you’re saying. You’re defining the systems by how you perceive their behavior.

I was going more by the intent behind the system. The LKA is purely a safety system. The LFA is a step up towards automation. Of course, there’s an inherent safety element to it as well, but if it was only about safety, they wouldn’t have programmed the car to allow the driver to remove his/her hands from the steering wheel for up to 30 seconds before it starts warning you. Instead, it would do the same thing, but warn you right away.

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Thanks for the comments and clarifications! I've been spending time in the evenings sitting in the Palisade with the manual and quick start guide, going through the controls and trying to learn all the options. Unfortunately, many of the explanations are confusing or use names for controls that don't match the labeling on the controls. Translation problems from Korean? Or just an under-resourced project for the English manual? Well, at least we have this forum to supplement he manual.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
I get what you’re saying. You’re defining the systems by how you perceive their behavior.
Correct. Looking more at implementation of action rather than intent of action.

I think we are in the same page though as far as general functionality.

Hyundai Palisade Posts