Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Thinking of trading to a GV80

Reactions
I prefer the interior of my current 2020 Limited but the GV80 is 1,000 lbs lighter with 75 more horses. Power is appealing.

Reactions
I prefer the interior of my current 2020 Limited but the GV80 is 1,000 lbs lighter with 75 more horses. Power is appealing.
The GV80 is a 2-row SUV, not a 3-row (a 3rd-row is available as an option on one - not all - of the GV80 trim levels). It’s shorter than a Palisade. Not exactly a direct equivalent.

Karen

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Palisade Calliraphy
Genesis GV 80 is a beautiful car. My husband drives the G90, an amazing car. I waited 18 months to order a GV80, so disappointed that it was no larger than my Volvo XC60. We decided to go with the Palisade Calligraphy instead, we needed more than a luxury SUV.

Elp_jc

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Palisade Calligraphy FWD
I prefer the interior of my current 2020 Limited, but the GV80 is 1,000 lbs lighter with 75 more horses.
What?!? A RWD platform is NEVER going to be lighter than a FWD, period. Even with the small difference in size. The interior size is significantly larger on the Pali due to the FWD platform, not the exterior size difference. I also looked into a GV80 Prestige, and it was 4,707 lbs, if I remember correctly (and it felt that heavy too). My Calligraphy is 4,231 lbs, but it's FWD, so to compare apples to apples, the AWD Calligraphy is 4,387, which is still significantly lighter than the GV80. And yes, the GV80 is quicker. The difference is not huge, but my Pali is barely adequate IMO, so I opted for the lighter FWD, which also gives 2 MPGs more (no need for AWD in the desert). If the Pali was offered with the 3.5TT engine, my guess is Genesis wouldn't sell any GV80s. Ha ha.

Reactions
What?!? A RWD platform is NEVER going to be lighter than a FWD, period. Even with the small difference in size. The interior size is significantly larger on the Pali due to the FWD platform, not the exterior size difference. I also looked into a GV80 Prestige, and it was 4,707 lbs, if I remember correctly (and it felt that heavy too). My Calligraphy is 4,231 lbs, but it's FWD, so to compare apples to apples, the AWD Calligraphy is 4,387, which is still significantly lighter than the GV80. And yes, the GV80 is quicker. The difference is not huge, but my Pali is barely adequate IMO, so I opted for the lighter FWD, which also gives 2 MPGs more (no need for AWD in the desert). If the Pali was offered with the 3.5TT engine, my guess is Genesis wouldn't sell any GV80s. Ha ha.
There’s a less space in a GV80 because it‘s a 2-row SUV, not a 3-row, and because it is shorter than the Palisade overall. Not because it’s RWD.

Elp_jc

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Palisade Calligraphy FWD
Nobody said it was shorter because it's RWD. I said it's HEAVIER because it's RWD, and that's a fact :). You have a much heavier engine and transmission on the GV80, PLUS a differential and shaft drive. And yes, it's also smaller, so hard to justify the huge price difference IMO. Once my wife saw the Palisade, she didn't even want to test-drive the GV80. And I was okay with that. Ha ha.

By the way, I test-drove a 2021 G80, and wanted to buy it for me, but then my wife asked to see the trunk. I assumed it was going to be more than enough. WRONG! It's only like 13 cu ft. No way we could fit our luggage in there, so it was a no-go too. I don't anticipate Genesis doing that well with their current vehicles, to be honest. If the Palisade was available with the 3.5TT engine of the GV80, Genesis probably wouldn't sell any GV80s IMO :).

Last edited:
Reactions
Nobody said it was shorter because it's RWD. I said it's HEAVIER because it's RWD, and that's a fact :). You have a much heavier engine and transmission on the GV80, PLUS a differential and shaft drive. And yes, it's also smaller, so hard to justify the huge price difference IMO. Once my wife saw the Palisade, she didn't even want to test-drive the GV80. And I was okay with that. Ha ha.

By the way, I test-drove a 2021 G80, and wanted to buy it for me, but then my wife asked to see the trunk. I assumed it was going to be more than enough. WRONG! It's only like 13 cu ft. No way we could fit our luggage in there, so it was a no-go too. I don't anticipate Genesis doing that well with their current vehicles, to be honest. If the Palisade was available with the 3.5TT engine of the GV80, Genesis probably wouldn't sell any GV80s IMO :).
I wasn’t referring to your comments about weight. I was referring to this, which you said in your previous post:
The interior size is significantly larger on the Pali due to the FWD platform.
That’s not true. The interior size is larger on the Palisade because it is a bigger vehicle: it’s a 3-row, while the GV80 is a 2-row. It has nothing to do with RWD vs FWD. Plenty of RWD vehicles are bigger than the Palisade.

Hyundai Palisade Posts