Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Palisade Limited Door Locks Idiosyncrasies

Mr68

Reactions
I have observed some random door lock behaviors over the past several weeks with my Palisade Limited. The door locks are programmed to unlock when the vehicle is shifted into P. This happens about 50% of the time or so. At other times, the front doors are unlocked but the second row passengers doors remain locked. I had this checked at the dealer and of course it wouldn’t behave this way when they were checking.
A really strange occurrence happened when my wife tried to open the second row passenger door, but it was locked. She signaled to me to unlock the door. I accidentally hit the lock button on the driver’s door instead of the unlock button. However, this unlocked the rear doors. Weird.
Has anyone else had issues with the doors not unlocking when shifting into Park or shutting off the ignition?

Reactions
I have noticed the same "failure" to unlock rear doors. I have not had time to test and investigate, but being the driver, and never in the rear seats-- and also, not always having rear seat passengers-- it is not an every day occurrence. But at least twice now in the 6 weeks I have been driving the Palisade, I have had 2nd row passengers "trapped" when the front doors unlocked, and the rear doors did not. It may or may not be caused by turning off the vehicle and back seat passengers not exiting, both front doors opening and closing (driver/passenger swap, aka "fire drill"), and restarting the car. Just a thought... but now I am going to have to try and test it out!!

OP
M

Mr68

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have noticed the same "failure" to unlock rear doors. I have not had time to test and investigate, but being the driver, and never in the rear seats-- and also, not always having rear seat passengers-- it is not an every day occurrence. But at least twice now in the 6 weeks I have been driving the Palisade, I have had 2nd row passengers "trapped" when the front doors unlocked, and the rear doors did not. It may or may not be caused by turning off the vehicle and back seat passengers not exiting, both front doors opening and closing (driver/passenger swap, aka "fire drill"), and restarting the car. Just a thought... but now I am going to have to try and test it out!!
Thanks for acknowledging the problem. At least I know I'm not going nuts. I've observed an additional oddity with the door locks. On several occasions after the car has been shut off and usually overnight, I have gone out to put something in the back seats prior to driving the car. The rear doors are locked and I'm pretty sure they were open when I last used the car since I'm in the habit of checking now after I shut off the vehicle. Front doors were open. Let me know how your testing goes.

Reactions
What I Drive
2018 Genesis G90 ultimate
Similar thing happens on our Genesis G90. Our palisade has been ordered still waiting.
When inside if anyone is touching the door handle, only drivers door unlocks.
Same thing happens when I try to unlock car doors from outside after being locked.
Someone else posted,on Genesis, They had that problem when they pressed the stop switch button
letting the car put itself in to park.
While the G90 has a shift lever we still have the park button and lever works just like the palisade buttons. Electronic
Will be interesting to see what you are able to figure out, Before we get ours please

gootie

Reactions
What I Drive
jetta
Thanks for acknowledging the problem. At least I know I'm not going nuts. I've observed an additional oddity with the door locks. On several occasions after the car has been shut off and usually overnight, I have gone out to put something in the back seats prior to driving the car. The rear doors are locked and I'm pretty sure they were open when I last used the car since I'm in the habit of checking now after I shut off the vehicle. Front doors were open. Let me know how your testing goes.

Mr 68
Possible future buyer here. Curious to know if you have figured out the lock system weirdness

OP
M

Mr68

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Mr 68
Possible future buyer here. Curious to know if you have figured out the lock system weirdness
Not really. My original post dealt with the doors not consistently unlocking when I put the car in Park. I haven't noticed this behaviour recently unless my wife is in the car. She tends to grab the door latch upon stopping and perhaps her manually opening the door messes with the unlock sequence for all doors. The other issue concerning the doors apparently locking overnight hasn't been an issue. It did happen recently, but can't say I understand it. I think if you remotely unlock the vehicle and then don't open a door for some period of time, the car will relock. I don't think that's what I did, but who the heck knows. Overall, I am very happy with my Palisade and wouldn't let this influence a purchase decision.
Good Luck.

Reactions
I've seen the same odd behavior with the rear door locks. Haven't found the cause, but while investigating I found another odd issue. There are two choices for automatic door unlocking: unlock when you shift into Park, or unlock when you turn the car Off. One feature I like about the Palisade is that it automatically shifts into Park if you turn off the ignition. HOWEVER, if you have the unlock option set to Park and you go straight to ignition Off, the locks don't unlock. If you have the option set to Off, the doors will unlock. HOWEVER, they will not unlock if you pull up and shift into Park to let passengers out. Neither option works for all real life situations.

EWE BOAT

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Hyundai Palisade
I have a solution - I was having a similar problem. My door settings are set to unlock all of the doors when the car is put into park. By coincidence, I hesitated before turning off my car and discovered that if you press "PARK" and then turn off the ignition too quickly, the settings will not unlock all of the doors. If you procrastinate 1 or 2 seconds after putting the car into park and before you turn the car off, all of the doors will be unlocked. I tested this at least a half a dozen times and sure enough, if you wait 1 or 2 seconds before pushing off the ignition, all of the doors will unlock.

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
I have a solution - I was having a similar problem. My door settings are set to unlock all of the doors when the car is put into park. By coincidence, I hesitated before turning off my car and discovered that if you press "PARK" and then turn off the ignition too quickly, the settings will not unlock all of the doors. If you procrastinate 1 or 2 seconds after putting the car into park and before you turn the car off, all of the doors will be unlocked. I tested this at least a half a dozen times and sure enough, if you wait 1 or 2 seconds before pushing off the ignition, all of the doors will unlock.

similar issue with the 2017-2020 Genesis models. I suspect it is some level of programming that takes some time to respond but killing the power stops the command from occurring.

interestingly though on the Genesis models, and I don't have my Palisade yet to test, but if you don't use park, but rather just turn off the vehicle (which with automatically put it in park, and if auto-hold was engaged it will automatically set the e-brake as well) the door unlock issue isn't apparent.

On My G80 I never use the park button unless I intend to keep the motor running (waiting for kid outside school for example), if I am done with my trip and parking, I just turn off the car; as it is all shift by wire, the computer handles putting into park and setting the e-brake for me, I then wait 2-3 seconds before opening the door (use the time to gather my stuff), which allows the computer finish all commands and then completely shut down before losing all power when the door is opened. retained accessory power stays on for 5 minutes after power off or until door is opened.

ams332

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 palisade limited AWD
I have observed some random door lock behaviors over the past several weeks with my Palisade Limited. The door locks are programmed to unlock when the vehicle is shifted into P. This happens about 50% of the time or so. At other times, the front doors are unlocked but the second row passengers doors remain locked. I had this checked at the dealer and of course it wouldn’t behave this way when they were checking.
A really strange occurrence happened when my wife tried to open the second row passenger door, but it was locked. She signaled to me to unlock the door. I accidentally hit the lock button on the driver’s door instead of the unlock button. However, this unlocked the rear doors. Weird.
Has anyone else had issues with the doors not unlocking when shifting into Park or shutting off the ignition?

Hyundai Palisade Posts