Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Crossbars?

Reactions
I just ordered a Limited (Moonlight/beige) and can't wait for it to arrive. One option I couldn't find on Hyundai's website is crossbars for the roof rails. Does anyone know if they are available? Would Kia bars fit? Any reason to prefer factory bars over aftermarket - or vice-versa? Main use will be car-topping a canoe.

McClendons

Reactions
Your best bet, IMO is aftermarket. That way, you are assured that the company will make components to fit all of their carriers. I has a rack many years back that I had to use flimsy "adapters" to make work.....not good/

Thule has rails out now (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-racks), and there are some cheap aftermarkets (would not advise).

Have not seen anything on Hyundai crossbars, and would not bet that a Kia would fit as the body is significantly different.

Reactions
I installed the Thule ones and just used them this weekend. These were my first 3rd party bars I've ever used. The installation was pretty simple, and overall pretty happy with how quiet they are.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Are you still happy with the Thule bars? Did you go with the Evo or the Square?

I installed the Thule ones and just used them this weekend. These were my first 3rd party bars I've ever used. The installation was pretty simple, and overall pretty happy with how quiet they are.

Gene

Reactions
What I Drive
2018 Genesis G90 ultimate
I just ordered a Limited (Moonlight/beige) and can't wait for it to arrive. One option I couldn't find on Hyundai's website is crossbars for the roof rails. Does anyone know if they are available? Would Kia bars fit? Any reason to prefer factory bars over aftermarket - or vice-versa? Main use will be car-topping a canoe.
Have you tried the MyHyundai.com site. https://www.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2020/palisade/
All kinds of accessories, most not made by Hyundai, good place to start

Reactions
Are you still happy with the Thule bars? Did you go with the Evo or the Square?
Overall yes. I went with the Evo ones. My only gripe is that my Thule Ski Rack doesn't slide nicely on the evo bars, and I have just taken to leaving them up, and remove the roof rack instead.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
Did you use them for a boat? What did you tie the bow/stern to?

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
After months of deliberation/procrastination I finally ordered the Hyundai crossbars. Name brand aftermarket bars and mounts were even more expensive. The Hyundai bars had a good load rating, they look good and they are original equipment, which may matter during resale. They clamp on rock-solid. They worked fine with my Yakima canoe brackets. Wind noise is minimal with the bare crossbars. Downside: They are a bit narrow. If you cartop a wide boat you will probably want a crossbar that extends past the rails instead of one that sits between them.

One problem inherent to cartopping a canoe with the Palisade is the plastic housing that overhangs the rear window and contains the high brake light. Actually two problems. First, when I load my 12' canoe solo by lifting the bow and resting it on the rear crossbar, I have to rest it on that overhang first. It doesn't rest on the crossbar until I lift the stern a couple of feet. This is with the crossbar as far back as it can be mounted. Longer canoes probably won't be a problem. I've been padding the housing with a towel, and so far it is undamaged. Second, once the canoe is on top, you can't open the hatch fully. That housing will hit the canoe unless you press the hatch button to stop it when it is about 1/3 open. This doesn't completely eliminate access to the rear cargo, but it would be a major pain on a long trip.

Overall I would recommend the factory bars if they suit your need. They are definitely sturdy, quiet and good looking.

Update: Just drove 175 miles to the beach with my canoe on this rig. It rained the whole way, drizzle to downpour, some gusty wind. Cruising speed was 60 - 76 mph. My Limited made it easy I love the advanced cruise control and lane keeping features and the automatic wipers.

Last edited:

Hyundai Palisade Posts